Saturday, July 24, 2010

Day 11 - Back on the horse

I made a conscious effort to get back to following the program after a few haphazard days. As we had plans for the evening, I decided to do my shakes for breakfast and lunch. I had to make a trip to Costco for frozen berries (1.8kg for $10) and consciously did not pick up any fun snacks. However I did pick up salt & pepper pistachios. I've come across a few articles on the health benefits of pistachio's lately (here's one : http://holistic-nutrition.suite101.com/article.cfm/health_benefits_of_pistachios ) and I'm a fan of salt and pepper so I decided to put a bag in my cart and push it, push it real good. (If only one person gets this joke, it will have been worth it).

Didn't get a chance to go to the gym, however I did walk for at least an hour today while doing grocery shopping and then going to Mel Lastman square for Cultura (summer series with vendors, performers and an open-air movie with money going to chartiy).

Here's the recap
9am : Ionix Supreme, Shake (1.5 scoop)
11am : pistachios (about 30 shelled)
noon : raw broccoli and a little hummus
2pm : shake
4pm : pistachios (about 20 shelled)
7pm : Malaysian 'sandwich' with beef, beans and other vegetables. I wouldn't call it healthy, but I could have done worse. Fried plantain (not deep fried) without additional sugars etc.
10:30pm : 3 bites of my wife's KFC burger (we went to see Inception and she was hungry)

Workout : Walking for about an hour

Tip of the day : Parkinson's law states that "Work expands so as to fill the time available for its completion". If you give me a week to finish a job, I'll take a week to finish the job. If you give me an hour..I'll finish it an hour. Applying it to our situation and eating, I find that if I decide to eat something in a big bowl, I'll usually fill the big bowl and eat what's in it. If I fill a small bowl, I'll fill that and eat it. Both will fill be adequately..but a big bowl is a license to stuff myself. So the lesson is to use small bowls to help limit portion size.

No comments:

Post a Comment